Tuesday 1 March 2016

Brief

Aim: 
My concept  for Digital Media Studio is to design and create a character using Zbrush (for 3D sculpting) and Photoshop (for compositing). I aim to create a portrait of my character to have in my portfolio. I will be developing my pipeline which will consist of hand drawn designing, 3D sculpting, texturing, lighting, rendering and image compositing. 


Methods and Processes:
  • Research
  • Character Design
  • Modeling in Zbrush
  • Texturing in Zbrush
  • Lighting (most likely in Zbrush or Keyshot)
  • Rendering in Zbrush 
  • Image compositing in Photoshop
Research:
I will begin my project by researching appropriate existing animals, insects, plants, movies and characters.
Character Design:
From the research collected I will design multiple characters to suit my woodland scene. I will narrow down to one concept and develop it further until I have my final character. I will draw up character sheets (front, side, back view of character in pose and not in pose). I want to learn how to create a part transparent sculpt in Zbrush also (This could be the characters wings, props etc) I also want to experiment with hair. 
Sculpting:
I will create a rough shape of my character in Zspheres. From there I will block out its shape more clearly on its adaptive skin. I will check the proportions and stance is correct before I start sculpting the details.Some models might be created in Maya and then exported to Zbrush. 
Texturing/Polypainting:
I will texture my character in Zbrush focusing on realism.
Lighting:
I am undecided on what program I am going to light my character. I will experiment with Keyshot if Massey has that program (if not I'll use Zbrush). Most likely I'll stick to Zbrush because my aim is to become really skilled in the program. 
Rendering:
I will render in Zbrush but I am open to experimenting with other rendering programs. 
Compositing:
I will composite my final image/images in Photoshop. I will learn how to digitally painted a mute background and edit layers so everything looks professional. 

Intended Outcome:
  • Understand workflow of a fast paced character deisgn process ready for 3D sculpting
  • Ability to model complex character with attention to detail
  • Improve skills on hard and soft modeling 
  • Ability to use transparency in Zbrush
  • Ability to use hair in Zbrush
  • Ability in texturing sculpt realistically 
  • Ability of lighting within either Keyshot or Zbrush
  • Ability of rendering within Zbrush
  • Ability of compositing a final image(s) within Photoshop

Design Context:
Having a good knowledge of a Zbrush sculpt to 2D final image pipeline is crucial in presenting my sculpts professionally in my portfolio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment